Project Leader: Europejska Fundacja Rozwoju from Nowy Sącz (Poland)
- Základní škola H. Sienkiewicze s polským jazykem vyučovacím from Jablunkov (Czech Republic)
- Základná skola - Grundschule from Kezmarok (Slovakia)
The aim of the project was to create, test, refine and disseminate an innovative educational tool - ON-LINE GAME simulating the fate of refugees together with ACTIVATING LESSON SCENARS to support diversity, promote equality, non-discrimination, build social, civic and intercultural competences based on the values of European cultural heritage in the context of the migration crisis that Europe has been facing in recent years among school students from Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovakia. SIMULATOR-GRA ON-LINE combined with activating activities is an effective tool to deal with the problem of approaching the refugee issue that prevails among school students. Thanks to the ON-LINE GAME, students have the opportunity to play the role of an avatar / character of an African / Middle East resident who, due to the socio-political situation, faces the necessity to flee his country (becomes a migrant / refugee). A student who impersonates his avatar / character makes key and often very dramatic decisions deciding his fate, analogous to the decisions / choices faced by modern refugees. This approach allows young people to understand the life dramas associated with fleeing their own country and learn about the consequences of making decisions in such circumstances. Thanks to participation in lessons conducted on the basis of ACTIVATING SCENARIOS, the students' knowledge of subjects such as social studies, geography and history increases, as well as their empathy for the fate of others, understanding the problem of refugee and a sense of responsibility for common values based on European cultural heritage . Students develop their social, civic and intercultural competences based on European values, but also increase their knowledge of the problem of the migration crisis. The newly created educational tool is part of the core curriculum (as an element of global education) of teaching in Poland, Slovakia and the Czech Republic within such subjects as social studies, history, geography, ethics and educational lessons.
The ON-LINE GAME is a kind of SIMULATOR in the "LET'S PLAY - LET'S LEARN" technology. The tool is based on "gamification", so the mechanisms of the games have been used for educational purposes. The formula of identifying with the main character by impersonating his avatar is an extremely effective educational tool based on creating relations-interactions between them.
Project target groups:
1) primary schools and training institutions (ultimately around 19,000 primary schools and training institutions from Poland, Slovakia and the Czech Republic that can use the created educational tool)
2) teaching staff - humanities teachers, tutors, educators (approx. 30 thousand teachers from primary schools from Poland, Slovakia and the Czech Republic who can use the created educational tool in the didactic process
3) schoolchildren (approx. 2 million students aged 10-16 attending primary schools from Poland, Slovakia and the Czech Republic who were given the opportunity to use the created educational tool (including 180 students participating in the testing stage)
4) at the dissemination stage - school management staff, teachers, educators, school psychologists, school managing and managing bodies, decision-makers, higher education institutions educating teachers, students.
The project implementation consisted of 3 main stages: creating an ON-LINE EDUCATIONAL GAME simulating the fate of refugees together with ACTIVATING LESSON SCENARIOS on refugees, testing the newly created educational tool and carrying out dissemination activities.
The dissemination stage envisaged the transfer of the developed innovation to the groups of project stakeholders from Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovakia. The dissemination stage includes, among others, organization of conferences, seminars, mailing.
The use of the REFUGEE FATE SIMULATOR and ACTIVATING LESSON SCENARIOS is FREE OF CHARGE.